Cooperative Education is learning by doing. Students continue their technical training by working for employers during the period(s) they are scheduled for WBL. Work Based Learning is a combined effort between parents, educators, and employers who assist young adults become proficient and productive in the workplace.
Cooperative Education is part of the Work-Based Learning Continuum. Cooperative Education is a structured component of the Career Technical Education curriculum that integrates classroom instruction and learning with productive, supervised work-based experiences in fields related to a student’s career objectives. Students must work 140 hours per CO-OP credit earned.
Cooperative Education provides juniors and seniors with real-world work experience, as well as the responsibilities associated with having a job in their chosen field.
CO-OP students identify a career path to explore in one of sixteen nationally recognized career clusters. It is expected that career technical courses taken from 9-12 grades will relate to a career objective.
In order to participate in Work-Based Learning a student should:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have successfully completed the required prerequisite course(s)
- Be classified as a junior or senior who is on track for graduation
- Have an acceptable attendance, grade, and discipline record
- Have completed an application for WBL enrollment
- Have provided the names of three teacher references one of which should include a Career Technical teacher
- Possess the knowledge, skills, behavioral qualities, and abilities required for successful employment
- Be physically and mentally capable of performing the essential functions of the desired work-based experience
- Have participated in a student interview to review information on the application, discuss parental/guardian support, and discuss possible employment options
- Have the ability to provide transportation to and from the training site
|Document||To Be Completed By|
|CO-OP Application & Parent Forms||Student & Parent/Guardian|
|Employer Documents||Student & Employer/Supervisor/Mentor|
|Teacher Recommendation||Former Teachers - high school only. Email this form to three former teachers that would be willing to complete a recommendation. At least one must be a Career and Technical Education teacher from either your base campus or ECTC.|
All CO-OP Documents are electronic. Complete on your device and either print and return in person or email to the Coordinator by the deadline.
Coordinator Contact Information:
Cooperative Education/Work-Based Learning Coordinator
Elmore County Technical Center
800 Kelly Fitzpatrick Drive
Wetumpka, AL 36092
334-567-1218 ext. 71406